Year: Twentieth Century
In a city renowned for its dense pedestrian and vehicular traffic, unusual traffic controls were quite common in 20th Century New York City. While three-cluster traffic lights (red, yellow, and green) were common, equally common were two-cluster traffic lights (red and green) known as Ruleta Clusters, named for the company that first originated them. Ruleta Clusters could be found in all five boroughs. Originally installed on less heavily trafficked streets, changing demographic patterns left Ruleta Clusters in some of New York's busiest neighborhoods. In the 1980s, Ruleta Clusters began to be replaced by standard modern LED traffic lights. Few now remain.
|A two-sided Ruleta Cluster, Midtown Manhattan 1955|
|An unusual single-lamp Ruleta Beacon|
|A Ruleta Cluster in Midtown Manhattan 1977|
|A four-sided Ruleta Cluster in Brooklyn, 1980|
|One of the last remaining Ruleta Cluster lights, Forest Hills, Queens|