The Onondaga Salt Company opens its first salt mine in Wyoming County, New York, in anticipation of a massive demand for salt by the '49ers of the California Gold Rush.
Business booms, and the company relocates its headquarters from Syracuse to Chicago in 1849, changing its name to the Richmond Salt Company. In 1889, Joy Morton, the son of J. Sterling Morton, robber baron, politician, and founder of Arbor Day, buys the Richmond Salt Company, renaming it the Morton Salt Company in 1910.
In 1911, Morton devises a salt compound that does not cake with dampness. In 1914, the company adopts its famous "Morton Salt Girl" logo and and motto, "When it rains, it pours."
Eventually, the company becomes the world's largest producer of table salt. Its Wyoming County salt mine still produces salt to this day.